Monday, October 13, 2008

Surrealism at its finest.


Surrealism [suh-ree-uh-liz-uh m] noun : not the definition you would find at Wikipedia.


What I got from the short film today were completely random happenings of which seemed completely "un"realistic. Ants crawling out of a hole in a mans palm, a man all of a sudden collapsing on his bike while in motion, books turning into pistols, etc. I sure am not an expert on surrealism but I can take a guess. I believe that this short film was a mixture of half realism, and half surrealism. For example:


Realism: After the man fell from his bike he was somehow dead.

Surrealism: The woman set his clothes (which were really woman's clothes) onto her bed and stared at them, in which she looked like she was determined to stare him back to life again.


Realism: The man was forced to stand in the corner by what it seemed another man he wasn't too fond of. He then had books placed on his palms in which he had to hold up.

Surrealism: Those books then turned into pistols and he shot the other man which he wasn't too fond of.


Again, I'm no expert but I thought I would take a stab at it. Afterall, what really defines an expert? Is there a certain "expert" test you need to pass?

No comments: