Sunday, November 23, 2008

Art of the unconscious.

Is everything we see in in the everyday life subconsciously art? The video regarding graffiti removal which exemplified art made me think about everyday objects that could also exemplify art in the same way. The graffiti removal was subconsciously art. As they removed it, different colors and sizes of rectangles were used which created a pattern. Subconsciously the remover had no idea they were an artist at work. Some examples I can think of in everyday life are: the way bricks are layered, the half oval window in my bedroom, the way I arrange my pillows after I make my bed, the flashy light shows and displays at concerts, the way the vines/grapes are arranged in rows at vineyards, a Ferris wheel at the local fair, the color arrangement of the fruits and vegetables at the grocery store, etc. We all exemplify and incorporate art in our everyday life even though we don’t realize it. There are plenty of other ways that art is exemplified in everyday life, but its such a part of everyday life it is harder to distinguish than obvious art. It’s unobvious art, art created by the subconscious. Why do we have prestigious artists when we all are artists in our everyday life?

No comments: